Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Damn You Society and Your Social Constructs of Beauty

I was driving to work this morning and I reached behind my seat to grab my makeup bag to start the daily masking ritual. I felt around to the left. I felt around to the right. I came to a stop in traffic and craned my neck around to look. No makeup.

Shit.

I had to make the choice then and there…go home and get the makeup or just power through the day without it. I pulled down my visor mirror and gasped...I had to go home.

On my way back to the house I fumed. I fumed about being an idiot and forgetting my makeup, but that quickly turned into anger over the fact that I HAVE to wear makeup at all. It isn’t so much about my self confidence; it is more about not wanting to waste my day explaining myself. Because I know that not wearing makeup will invite all sorts of looks:
  • The concerned person who comes up and says, “are you not feeling well?”
  • The one who looks at me with pity and says, “you look so tired.”
  • The insensitive guy who will undoubtedly ask, “what is wrong with you?!”
  • The disgusted one who will tell me to “go home” less for my benefit and more so they don’t have to look at me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful Girl,

I have to give my shout out to the most sparkly woman I know. You shine, inside and out, makeup or not. Don't you forget it!