Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I Can Think of Nothing Worse

Do you remember that horror movie? The one where some guy is walking to his car and there is a bad guy lying under the vehicle who slashed his Achilles tendon? It was a sucky movie…don’t even remember which one it was…but that scene is etched in my mind.

Kinda like the scene this weekend.

Boyfriend and his brother-in-law join a soccer league. Woo fun! They aren’t very good yet…but most of them haven’t played since high school…so they will get better.

Anyway…I was watching* from the bleachers, at least 15 feet from the sideline. And about three quarters of the way through the game, Boyfriend’s bro goes to start running and I hear a SNAP, CRACKLE, POP. It was more just a pop…but it was freaking loud. At first I thought he kicked his cleats together…but then he went DOWN. The man severed his mother-effing Achilles tendon. WTF? He was just running? Can that really happen?

I got him ice and touched the back of each ankle…left side normal…right side…holy squishy grossness Batman!

Stuff like this is the very reason that I avoid physical activity. My ankles hurt just thinking about it. I think I am going to get me a rascal and just forgo the possibility of injury altogether. You never know what risks will arise as you walk…anywhere.

*I don’t play…apparently I never learned to run right. No seriously…apparently this freak doesn’t know how to do the thing that every moron with legs can handle. I am working on this…but with my whole hatred of physical exertion, it is kinda hard to work on my running technique since I kinda like to stop and rest after 20 feet.

6 comments:

Beverley Viljoen said...

I bet you could play soccer in a rascal.

Unknown said...

Oh my god gross. Is he ok??

ashley said...

no...he severed his mother-effing Achilles...

Jonathan Beckett said...

Soccer is actually a fantastic game - it's just the morons that play it professionally, and the violent "fans" throughout the world that ruin it for everybody else.

I've dislocated a kneecap, and that hurt - but I cannot imagine snapping an Achilles tendon....

Beverley Viljoen said...

"morons that play if professionally?" Does that include the people that WANT to play it professionally?

ashley said...

rascal soccer...I am all about it!