Sunday, October 14, 2007

A Sandy Beach…In Your Pants!

Pismo was great fun…once you got past the rain, the fog, the cold and the hurricane-strength winds. Other than that (and the sand-filled orifices) it was super fun.

The one thing that never ceases to amaze me are the differences between male and female motor skills. Not motor skills like moving fingers and toes or speaking…but skills involved in motor vehicles. I am not saying women are inferior drivers…actually in many cases I could put together a pretty compelling argument to the contrary. What I am talking about is more the style and aggressiveness of male verses female drivers.

Is absolute fearlessness in men an inherent trait? Cause I don’t know about you, but when I sit atop of mountain of sand with nothing but air below me…the first thought that comes into my mind isn’t, “hey lets jump off this shit!” That might be the last thing from my mind actually…but inexplicably, there are boys blowing past me, leaping off this sand cliff.

“If they can do it, I can do it.” I tell myself. But regardless of my inner monologue, I am not loving the idea of the images in my mind of all the things that could possibly go wrong…mostly involving limbs flailing and skulls cracking.

I finally mustered the courage…and I did it. It wasn’t bad. But that didn’t make me ready to dive off every crazy dune I came across for the rest of the day. The boys can be crazy…I’ll stick to the path with least risk…that nice sloping one.

2 comments:

Jonathan Beckett said...

It's probably something to do with women being able to think of more than one thing at once.

Men can't. We're not designed that way. Some men to a stupid degree - as in "hey this will be exciting", without a thought for "I could break every bone in my body".

I've also noticed the same men that jump out of planes, or do extreme sports, tend to be very selfish with regard to responsibilities. No thought about "if I get killed doing this, how will it effect others".

Anyway. Far too serious thoughts for a Monday morning.

kswirs said...

We're heading to Pismo this weekend, so thanks for the heads up!